Friday, August 13, 2010

Garden Update!

Thought I would give a quick garden update since this post and the next one are about food from our garden.  Most of our Summer veggies have just about run their course so I have been working on pulling them out as they die off.  

Right now, we still have lots of okra coming in, a few small green peppers here and there, tomatoes (when I can get them before the caterpillars do), cucumbers, and WATERMELON.  Lots of watermelon!  I also planed some more last week.  I went to the seed store down the street and bought Sugar Pie Pumpkin seeds and also a few more zucchini.  Since the Zucchini grow and produce fast, the guy said I could replant.  (My last ones got devoured by squash bugs).  Anyways, the man that runs the place is....hmmm...kinda scatterbrained..and easily destracted..and I'm pretty sure I came home with two envelopes labeled differently, but with the same seeds.  Maybe not.  I'm really hoping not, but so far, it's not looking good!  All the sprouts look identical so that's not helping my feeling.  I think next week I will go buy some more pumpkin seeds just in case so I can get them in the ground.  If it ends up that they're all pumpkin, then I would rather that, then all zucchini that's going to die soon.  I'll keep you posted, but we are SUPER excited to possibly have lots of pumpkins for the Fall!!

Anyways, back to the garden.  
Here's some updated pics...

The watermelon vine has taken over everything!

All of the little buckets are holding up baby watermelon.  With all of the rain and watering, they have been rotting if we don't prop them up.


This big one will be next up to eat!! Yum!


The vine is even growing outside of our garden.  I was trying to throw it back into the fence, but I gave up. Now there are 3 or 4 growing out there, too!


Okra!

Green Peppers!

 and the Tomatoes!  The plants are becoming a tangled mess! We are also having a worm problem so that's no fun!



Now for the main reason for this post.  Finally.

Wednesday night, we brought in our first watermelon that actually made it to maturity!  We were beyond excited about this.  The pics will show just how happy we were!

I dont know what it is about my garden that makes everything shaped funny.  Maybe it just shows that all the picture perfect fruit and veggies we get at the store are full of weird chemicals to make it big and pretty.  This is what real-deal, au-naturale, water and sun fed veggies and fruit look like! lol

We were holding our breath while Randy chopped it open...hoping there would be "real" fruit inside..


Yay!! It was beautiful and pink inside!



And now for a taste..




It was soooo yummy and sweet!! We were so pleased and really excited that there are lots more to come out back now!  Ella gives the watermelon a thumbs up!
and so does Noah!

1 comment:

Dean and Mary said...

I am so excited for you to be getting vegies and WATERMELON out of your very own garden! Very good for your first time out. : )